Sunday, April 19, 2009

From Fear to Action

At times it is easy to become discouraged as an energy guy. Too many people seem interested more in their current financial situation than in their future -and the future of our mutual home.

For those who are willing to step out of their "comfort zone", though, amazing things begin to happen! It is for such people that I have devoted my life.

When I see the eyes of those who discover just how much radiant energy sails through windows (even the best ones), and that there is a solution to this #1 waster of energy, then the huge process of starting a new, little understood, business is worth it! (See In'Flector blinds.)

In my experience many of the few who are willing to do something to reduce their "carbon footprint" are reluctant to take the next step (action) because they are afraid of change, fearful of failing, feel ignorant, or simply do not have the access to money.

At the Victoria Home Show, from which I have just returned, there were a few people who were willing to risk. Of the hundreds I met, only four were people with whom I have already established a relationship. The rest did not know me, hindering their willingness to risk. I don't blame them. All of us have been burned by unethical salespeople, those who value money more than people.

But even several of those with whom I am quite friendly have not followed energy suggestions I've sometimes given to them, and later have said that they wished they had done otherwise.

They are not alone. How often I have failed to follow the wisdom of others, and so have learned difficult lessons "the hard way!" And so I can be gracious toward them, and me!

As energy becomes much more expensive I know that the resulting pain will drive people to trust me more. Indeed, pain is usually needed before most of us make important changes. Still, I never enjoy seeing people hurting.

My strong wish is that all of us would be able to risk enough to move beyond our self-imposed confines and more fully grasp what it means to live on this beautiful, yet limited, planet. Then we will fear what we need to fear, not what we usually do fear. Then we will experience most amazing lives, and a future worth anticipating.

No comments: