Monday, June 14, 2010

Being weird

I'm weird.

No, I don't mean socially isolated, inept, strange, or even curious. I'm "weird" because I don't own a car.

According to "normal" I don't have much of an identity without one. I'm backward, too poor, too young, or simply not "with it." Many people have difficulty knowing what to say to me other than some niceties such as "good for the environment, eh?" People who care about me worry about my safety. That's okay, I worry about their health, since those who mostly get around by car are usually in poor physical condition, are more likely to suffer from depression, illness, a much higher risk of disease (heart, lungs, and pretty well everything else) and more.

Not owning a car also means having a lot more money in my jeans. I save thousands every year, about the equivalent of a half-time job at minimum wage (after taxes).

In order to qualify to be "weird" one has to rearrange one's life so as to live near work (as about half of us already do), perhaps have groceries delivered, arrange rides, take transit (I use the time "wasted" reading, meditating, visiting, etc.), and use the car (time-) share co-op.

With about 70% of the greenhouse gases coming from transportation (the majority of this from single occupancy vehicles) the "convenience" of the car is not only killing us and our pocketbooks, it is killing the planet. Everyone loses in the end.

Since I spend more time with people, get more exercise and fresh air, and my life is slower and more meaningful, the quality of my life is immeasurably better.

So, go ahead, call me "weird." My friends still love me.

No comments: