Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What is money?

One of the things I sometimes ask couples who are arguing about money is what money means to each of them.

At first they look at me rather blankly. When I give them some examples of what people believe about money they get it! And then they discover that they have different meanings about money. The penny drops.

Money means a variety of things to us: Security, freedom, responsibility, fear (of not having enough), power, and more.

When it comes to being a "business man" I have tended to avoid anything that would remind me (and others) of greed, manipulation, etc. as I do not see myself as being one to use others.

Fair enough.

Unfortunately this fear has created a relationship with money that has not served me. Instead of courageously inviting people to use their money wisely on energy-efficient products and services, I've tended to sit back and wait for them to make a decision on insufficient information.

This has not served them, me, nor the planet. As people do tend to use their money on things that are familiar and regular (e.g. coffee) most people fail to make the investment in their own energy security, comfort, and sustainability.

By holding myself back, trying to avoid looking like I'm the classic "salesman" I have essentially robbed them of the opportunity to think outside of their habits, comforts, etc., and thus to miss a vital opportunity.

I realised a couple of weeks ago that unless I attract a lot more money into my business and life I will fail to bring about the changes to the world, our home, that I passionately desire.

It is possible to be respectful and powerful at the same time. That time has come.

The planet and its people depend on it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great article, Ian. Very thoughtful.

I've had to do a lot of healing around money. I think most people do. For me it was about shifting from the "not enough" scarcity message I grew up with to the "there's enough for everyone" abundance message I now give myself.

And I love the way my life has reflected that shift!

So cheers to being respectful, powerful in our own lives, and rich in every way!