Monday, December 8, 2008

Getting started

While I consider the 'energy biz' to be my passion as well as my occupation and calling, by starting this blog I also hope to have some fun in it! And to find meaning in being an 'energy consultant.' You will see evidence of these in my postings.

Philosophically speaking, everything in life is made of energy and relationship. I have learned quite a bit about both; yet I am just beginning as a student of both.

What I have gained in the process is an entirely new world view. Increasingly I see beyond the mundane to what is absolutely amazing: the connections between relationship and energy.

In spiritual language these concepts are spoken of through words such as 'covenant', 'spirit' and 'life.'
In the therapeutic world these words are communicated through such ideas as 'healthy', 'differentiated', 'attachment', 'systems theory' and 'energised.'
In the engineering world the concepts include 'quantum', 'relativity', 'electrons', 'animation' and many more.
While the language is different, what is common is the realisation that life itself is utterly dependent on the relationship of various forms of energy. Matter is different than is air, for example, only because the relationships between the atoms are different.

Interestingly, the word 'enthusiasm', where relationship and energy are simultaneously engaged in a positive way, has a spiritual root: it roughly means "God's movement within."

Just as I have learned and grown as an individual because of the engaging relationships I have had, we as a society will learn and grow as we engage each other and various technologies so as to live more sustainably and meaningfully.

I hope that the ideas and tips that I share in subsequent blogs will energise you to engage in relationships -with people, with your use of non-human energy (electricity, fossil fuels, the sun), and with your life. Becoming more energy efficient and in right-relationship to the earth is not something to be done overnight. It takes considerable effort, time, money, and (yes!) enthusiasm.

But then, so does anything that really matters.

No comments: